He spread His wings and caught me, He carried me on His pinions!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Do I Have a Witness?

Pastor Rick, shared an interesting scripture this past Sunday…did you know we are surrounded by a cloud of heavenly witnesses? Because my son, Johnny, resides in heaven, I wanted to research this particular scripture reference more thoroughly;


The NLT interpretation says: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith…” Hebrews 12:1


The KJV interpretation says: “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses…” Hebrews 12:1
Have you ever thought about or pondered — who are these witnesses? Why are they watching us?

I love word pictures. It’s like we are in this Great Cosmic Olympic Race, with a cheering section, in heaven! The “cloud” in this passage is referring to those who have gone on before us and now reside in the heavenlies.
Feeling like you are in some fiery trial? Think of those who have gone on before us and been through their own trials…they now, are up there cheering us on! Wow! That’s exciting news!

I started recalling many Bible characters and their trials. Do you remember any of these people?
Remember when Shadrach, Meshach, Abed-nego were thrown into the flames of the furnace?

Remember Queen Esther – "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place...who knows whether you have attained to royalty for such a time as this?"

Remember Ruth – "Do not urge me to leave...For where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God!"

Remember Joseph and all the trials he’d been through – "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive."
[recall Joseph's brother’s threw him in a pit, to die?]



And what about King David? Remember his giant encounter? "For who is this uncircumcised Philistine [David was referring to Goliath, the giant], that he should taunt the armies of the living God?" and then later David says to Goliath, "You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted...that all the earth may know that there is a God...for this battle is the Lord's and He will give you into our hands!"

You know the rest of the story - Goliath landed in a face plant [rock between the eyes] on the ground - DEAD - by a rock in David's sling-shot! Next time I am up against some “giant” I will remember King David the “Giant slayer!”

For me it’s just amazing to think – these people of the Bible, and many more who have gone on to heaven, are now cheering us on in our own personal trials and tribulations!

“Does He not see our ways and number all our steps?” Job 31:4


“Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows!” Luke 12:7

Such exciting and encouraging news! God has the scoop on every single detail of our life here on earth! He knows every breath we take!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts